People ask me all the time what I eat on a daily basis. They don't realize the wide variety of choices that are out there. Because we are creatures of habit, a typical lunch-time meal is some sort of deli meat sandwich with chips, maybe some soup, cookies, or maybe a piece of fruit. The nutritional value of eating that lunch is close to nothing, not to mention the sodium, fat and cholesterol wrapped up in that. Well, let me help you with much better choices.
- Choose a wrap and spread it with lots of hummus, (read ingredients if buying store bought, I will give you a recipe below to make your own).
- Add chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, matchstick carrots, corn, chopped tomatoes and chopped peppers. You might have other perfect ingredients on hand such as cucumbers, beans, rice, cooked broccoli and mushrooms. Add whatever you like.
- Top with lots of spinach or lettuce. Carefully roll the wrap into a sausage-like shape, squishing it together as you go. If you are at home, you could bake it in the oven for 10 minutes to crisp it up, or just pack it up for work, and you have a really good lunch. Add a cup of soup and a piece of fruit...perfect!
- Toast whole-gran bread, and spread with lots of hummus.
- Top with thick slices of fresh tomatoes.
- Top with lots of fresh basil.
- Toast a whole-grain bun or bread, spread with hummus on one side.
- Add chopped cilantro, 3-4 strips of roasted red peppers, and a grilled portobello mushroom.
- Top with a stack of fresh spinach or lettuce. Add the top of the bun and press down so this it will fit in your mouth!