Let me start by saying there is a lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans, which is a fatal lung disease that was caused by chemical warfare during World War I. Well guess, what? Microwave popcorn can have the same effect!
Dr. Greger has warned us about diacetyl, which is the artificial butter flavor being linked to a condition known as "popcorn lung". Workers who were exposed to this started dying from it. The industry knew about the dangers for decades about this, but covered it up. Even when their workers started dying, they swore the chemical was safe for consumers, that it was only an "occupational hazard". In fact, they started running aids for Orville Redenbacker telling consumer to breathe deeply--but Dr. Gregor tells us that any ingredient requiring the use of a gas mask (which is what the workers are required to wear while making microwave popcorn), is probably not something you want to feed your family.
Dr. Greger goes on to tell us about some cases of consumers of butter-flavored microwave popcorn developing bronchiolitis obliterans. There's a 47 year old women who ate 2-3 bags of popcorn a day and now can't even walk without getting out of breath. She is awaiting a lung transplant.
Then there's a 56 year old man, never smoked, but ate 2 bags of popcorn a day and started coughing up blood. His doctor reported this to the FDA, but the microwave popcorn is still on the market.
A third person ate 1-2 bags a day and was found to have shredded up lungs so scarred they had what's called "honeycombing" and patches with the appearance of ground glass.
This chemical is found in real butter too, but it's heavily concentrated when added as additional flavoring, and remains on store shelves and legal to this day. The regulation of health hazards from food additives has simply fallen through the cracks.
The manufacturers of microwave popcorn recommend a series of steps to "protect" consumers, such as allowing the bag to cool completely before opening, (who wants cold popcorn), and then open it in a well-ventilated area away from the face. However, they don't explain on the package of popcorn WHY we should be doing this. One solution they didn't mention that would also eliminated the risk of lung disease is...DON'T BUY IT....that, however, would effect their bottom line--money.
This is just another reason why eating as close to nature is the BEST thing you can do for you and your family. One of my recommendations to anyone trying to get their health back is to READ INGREDIENT LABELS. If there are more than 5 ingredients in the list, or if there is an ingredient you don't know or can't even pronounce, DON'T BUY IT. This is not real food, it is food made in a laboratory--these ingredients are foreign to our body and only cause trouble. When we eat these "food-like products" three times a day everyday, we are giving our body an onslaught of all kinds of trouble. Of course, our body does it's best to protect us from this "stuff", but after awhile, it starts to break down and weaken.
Instead of feeding disease, we need to start feeding health! By getting rid of all the artificial processed "foods", and eating lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, and whole-grains, we are nourishing our body with everything it needs to give us vibrant health. Eat as close to nature as you possibly can--food that doesn't come in a package, can or box--food that you find in the produce section of your grocery store--or better yet, this time of year food found at farmer's markets--food that is fresh and grown locally is the BEST food you can put in your body!
Still want to eat popcorn? That's fine--just don't buy the microwave variety. Instead, buy the actual popcorn that comes in a bag or jar--nothing added to it or taken out of it---just plain kernels of popcorn--and make it yourself! No artificial anything--and best of all, you won't have to worry about wearing a gas mask when you open the bag.....