The information I want to give you today will probably make you want to throw your hands up and just give up.....but I am here to say you have control over your health...knowledge is POWER. So, let me give you the bad news first, and then I will tell you how to "fix" it. The Hippocratic oath that our doctors take, (which states "I will do no harm"), no longer seems to apply to our medical care, except maybe as an afterthought to avoid lawsuits. Remember, doctors are trained to diagnose a disease and treat it with medication. Below is a sampling of findings from extremely reputable sources from the book, The Hundred-Year Lie, about what is really in our food, water, vitamins, prescription drugs, childhood vaccines, cosmetics and in our homes:
- When you read "made with natural flavors" on a food label, you are probably being deceived, because natural flavors and artificial flavors usually contain the same synthetic chemicals.
- In large feedlots, 100% of the cattle are fed five or more hormones, such as progesterone and testosterone, to accelerate weight gain and these hormones are known to cause reproductive dysfunction and cancers in humans.
- Many of our commercial dairy and meat products come from animals that consumed livestock feed made from the remains of tens of millions of dogs and cats that were killed with euthanasia drugs at animal shelters and veterinary clinics.
- Medical evidence is emerging that suggest that the artificial sweeteners in diet soft drinks may cause brain tumors and neurological disease, such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. The occurrence of these disease has risen dramatically, in proportion with the expanded use of those synthetic sweeteners.
- At least 70% of the processed foods in your local grocery store contain at least one genetically engineered ingredient that has never been tested for its potential harm.
- More than 3,000 synthetic chemicals are regularly added to food products, and hardly any have been tested for their synergistic (interactive) toxin-producing effects in the human body.
- Most vitamins and supplements sold in the US that are advertised as natural are actually synthetic chemical concoctions that contain coal tar, preservatives, artificial colorings and a vast range of other potentially harmful additives.
- More than 25,000 chemicals are in the cosmetics sold in the US, yet less than 4% of these ingredients have ever been tested for toxicity and safety.
- Within the 9 or so vaccines given your children before they enter school, are additives and preservatives, including mercury, aluminum, MSG, formaldehyde, and others linked to disorders ranging from brain and nerve damage to autism and attention deficit disorder.
Now, if you are like me, I believed the US Food and Drug Administrations job was to protect the American people from anything dangerous in our drug or food supplies. However, this is NOT true. The FDA relies on the safety information provided by the manufacturers to make their decisions. Chemical companies create and inject so many hundreds of mew chemicals into our lives each year that the regulatory agencies and scientists cannot find the time or resources to do the required testing. So, if the manufacturer says it's safe, well then, it must be.....
Physicians can't protect us either. A medical journal study found that 44% of drug advertising in medical journals, and 42% of drug information given to the doctors by drug company representatives, would lead doctors to prescribe medications improperly to their patients. The American Medical Association states 100,000 people in the US die every year from adverse reactions to their prescription drugs and more than 2 million people a year have serious but nonfatal reactions.
OK, so now we have this information...you ask, what are you suppose to do? We need to pay attention to what we are putting in our bodies...only we can protect ourselves...we have to take the responsibility.
- Eat as close to nature as possible--a Whole Food Plant Based diet is the best for optimal health, (studies repeatedly prove this).
- Shop the perimeter of the market---most of your food should come from the produce department.
- Read ingredient lists. The marketing on the front of the package is often very cleverly deceiving.
- Eliminate meat and dairy from your diet--there goes all the hormones, antibiotics, and a host of other toxic substances out of your diet, no to mention, a dramatic decrease in the risk of all kinds of cancers and heart disease.
- Buy organic whenever possible. If this in just not feasible, wash vegetables and fruit well to remove the pesticides.
- DO NOT DRINK chlorinated water! Chlorine is highly toxic...other countries, including Europe have banned chlorine.
These are just a few simple steps you can take that will make a huge difference in your life. By following a WFPB diet, so many people are able to come off their prescription drugs....it's not all about weight loss, which I know so many people are after...but it's about being HEALTHY.
Tell me, what's more important than YOUR HEALTH??