A Whole Food Plant Based diet gives our body all the vitamins and nutrients we need to build a really strong immune system, prevent chronic disease from starting, stop the progression of disease and many times REVERSE disease. Show me any other diet that has been SCIENTIFICALLY proven to do just that....believe me, to date, there isn't one.
Here are a few more guidelines we will be following for our 30 Day Challenge which begins May 1st:
- If you want to shed pounds, STOP cooking with OIL! Oil is not a "health" food like most companies would like us to believe (olive oil companies). Oil is stored easily in our body--it is an extremely processed food that is loaded with calories and very little nutrition.
- Learn to reduce the amount of salt in your diet. Excessive amounts of salt is linked to high blood pressure, stroke, osteoporosis and stomach cancers. I will teach you how to use herbs, vinegars and spices to flavor your food. In a short period of time, your taste buds will adjust and you will NOT miss the salt!
- Don't let meat and cheese hold you back. Most of the fat in the SAD (Standard American Diet), comes from cheese, butter and meat--all which contain dangerous trans fats. As studies continually show, animal products, including meat, fish and dairy, are rich in substances associated with cancer and heart disease. On top of that, they increase the body's production of IGF-1, a hormone that accelerates the aging process and produces inflammation. We are going to focus on eating more of what helps our bodies aggressively lose weight. By eliminating the animal products for the next 30 days, we will be cleaning our body from the inside out.
- Let your body have daily digestion breaks. In between snacking robs your body of a powerful function called the 'catabolic state'. After digestion is complete, your body heals, repairs and rejuvenates tissue (catabolic state). You want your body to be free throughout the day to repair, fight free radicals, and burn stored energy you may have accumulated as fat.
- Your habits dictate results. Success starts with planning. Your weekly food prepping habit will get you the health and weight loss goals you are looking for. Remember....fail to plan, plan to fail.
- The right prescription. Loading up on raw and cooked vegetables, 1 pound each daily--impossible?? It really is easy--you will see!!
- Your taste will change. It will take some effort, but your taste buds will change. In the beginning things may taste a little "off", but give it time--you have been eating foods that have "hyper-flavors" that do not exist in nature thanks to the food companies. However, stay consistent with this plan and your taste buds will heal.
- Balancing your time. I know how busy most people are, BUT, it is impossible to find ready-made food that will meet these requirements I am talking about. Be prepared--you will be prepping and cooking more, BUT, the result will be a more healthy, energetic and disease-free YOU!